AFP, one of the world’s leading news agencies, is looking for a dynamic and highly motivated English-language economic text reporter to join its editorial team in Beijing. You must be capable of producing fast, accurate and vivid copy in formats ranging from breaking news to reportages, features and in-depth angles, telling the story of China to a global audience. Economic coverage, including daily stock reports and quarterly indicators and earnings, is also an important component of the job. You are also expected to generate original, imaginative and lively feature and focus stories. You will strive to ensure multimedia coordination for simultaneous delivery of video, text, photo, factcheck to clients and generally operate under AFP’s high standards of accuracy and fair reporting. You will closely monitor social media and strictly adhere to the Agency’s guidelines on social media activity. As a general rule, you commit to respecting AFP’s ethics charter as well as all the editorial guidelines in force and in the Agency’s style guide.
You will contribute to the fight against misinformation by helping factcheckers in the network and ensure you are trained in the various methods of online verification, now indispensable for all journalism. Online training is available here:
In an ever-changing media environment, the nature of the job could evolve in line with coverage demands and the requirements of an increasingly diverse client base.
- Proven professional experience in written eco journalism, showing a flair for quick, accurate, lively copy
- Fizzing with original ideas for stories
- Native-level in English with a high level of working Chinese
- Comfortable using and monitoring social media
- Team player, able to work with colleagues in text, photo, video and our digital verification journalists
- Ready to work on flexible hours when needed, including weekends
- Ability to work under pressure
- Following skills are not essential but would be an advantage: experience in wire agency reporting; video reporting / editing skills; French language
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com
by September 30th , 2023, specifying in the subject line: Recruitment China
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a test and interview.
AFP is committed to equal opportunities and greater diversity within its teams. We therefore encourage all applications in order to preserve the wealth of profiles, cultures and languages that constitute the strength of our network.