We are excited about a new pilot programme to set up a news team to cover news for New Zealand’s growing Asian communities.
This is your chance to be part of it. We are looking for a journalist with a passion for telling the stories of the Indian community in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Te Tūranga - The opportunity
RNZ aims to develop a relationship with all the people of Aotearoa. We are setting up a news team to focus on the fast-growing Asian communities in the country, starting with the two largest, Indian New Zealanders and Chinese New Zealanders. This role focuses on stories for and about the Indian diaspora community.
Te Mahi - About the job
RNZ News is looking for a reporter with a commitment to news of the Indian community.
This is initially a 2 - year fixed-term, full-time role.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a journalist who is committed to our goal of independent, impartial and high-quality journalism for under-served communities.
Ōu Pūkenga - About You
We are looking for someone who:
- Find, investigate and write stories for our website about what is happening in the Indian community
- Be part of the Asia team start-up
- Work with our web, social, news and video teams to deliver stories across different platforms
Ngā Hua: What we offer
- Is passionate about telling the stories of the Indian community
- has an understanding of the community in all its facets
- Has some experience as a journalist.
- Will be committed to RNZ's charter of independent, quality journalism.
- Is a fluent writer in English for the web.
- Is a good communicator and familiar with web and social media publishing.
- Understands RNZ’s content sharing arrangements
Te Ahurea - Our Culture
- An opportunity to be creative and make a significant difference in the media
- Your stories can make a difference and be shared across the media
- Development and regular training opportunities for our people
- Competitive salary
- Will match an employee’s KiwiSaver contribution up to 4%
- Additional leave provisions for some roles and the option to buy extra leave
- Comprehensive parental leave over and above standard legislation
- Company discounts and benefits including discounted Southern Cross health insurance, car rental services and free flu shots
- RNZ supports work / life balance for our people including working from home initiatives where possible
- Comprehensive wellbeing support including access to a confidential support, guidance and counselling service
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and constructive culture. This means creating a place where our people feel like they belong and can do their best work. We do this through our attitudes; Be Bold, Better Every Day and Extend Manaakitanga.
This is a role based preferably in Auckland but we are open to flexibility.
Please note: A complete application includes your covering letter and a CV.
Since this is a new position, if you have any questions, we’d be delighted to answer them. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: Sunday 2 April 2023