Social media platforms are becoming more and more instrumental to news organisations wanting to reach audiences - especially those in a younger demographic.
Newshub is ramping up its social media strategy - and the Social Media Producer and Reporter will be instrumental in bringing this new approach to life.
They are key players in driving effective content creation in video and written formats, both on- and off-platform, helping to support Newshub's drive to reach as many Kiwis as possible with our high standard of journalism and compelling storytelling.
- Produce and present compelling daily social media posts / promotions for Newshub's social channels that will drive engagement and viewing
- Be comfortable in front of the camera, able to present news stories in a way that will resonate with social media audiences
- Generate ideas for creative and compelling ways to tell stories on social media platforms that appeal to a younger demographic
- Work with on-air producers / graphics teams to include on-air prompts where appropriate
- Write and edit news stories quickly and accurately when required
- Liaise with newsroom to ensure coverage of up-to-the-minute, trending, socially emerging news topics are covered and the social media audience is actively served
- Daily administration and updating of all social media assets for Newshub including moderating comments and replying to feedback as appropriate
- Ensure continuity in posts and engagement while maintaining the brand voice and identity
- Provide analysis and feedback to newsroom on how stories perform on digital / social
- Maximise audience flow from social platforms to broadcast programmes and websites
- Assist the Audience Engagement Editor in driving strategies for promotion and monetisation of Newshub's brand, content and talent across social media
- Strive to meet KPIs, and support the wider social media team in doing so
- Champion effective use of social media and third-party tools to gather news and video content to help drive Newshub's multi-platform coverage
- Maintain positive and constructive relationships with senior Digital team members to ensure editorial continuity across all of Newshub outputs
- Follow social media protocols and guidelines set by the Audience Engagement Editor
- Observe accepted standards of journalistic practice and have regard for the requirements of the Broadcasting Act and the laws relating to libel and defamation and the invasion of privacy
- The Employee shall ensure they are familiar with the Employer's health and safety policies and procedures, and any modifications to those policies and procedures that may be introduced from time to time
- Carry out your work safely and without endangering or causing harm to yourself, fellow staff members, contractors, customers, visitors, or the general public
- Other duties as required
- The Company may, after fair and reasonable consultation, change your duties, from time to time, for commercial reasons but not so as to substantially change the nature of the position
- Experience and expertise in social media channels, and their audience use cases
- Working experience as digital / multi-media journalist and content provider
- Video editing (Premiere or Avid) and image editing experience (Photoshop preferred)
- Ability to write and present concise, social savvy content, aligned with Newshub's brand and tone
- Experience with the appropriate technology needed to create / source / aggregate and publish digital media content
- Good understanding of the requirements of the Broadcasting Act and the laws relating to libel and defamation and the invasion of privacy and other related legal matters
- Understanding of audience analytics and engagement techniques
- Able to communicate effectively in pressure situations
- Has a wide consumption of online offerings including blogs, video services and social offerings
- Continually strives to improve Newshub's digital voice and enhance audience experience
- Maintains excellent collaborative and professional relationships with the programme team, wider newsroom and broader business
Discovery is at its best when bringing the world a little closer together. Discovery is dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment that is deeply rooted in our core values, supports employees and social justice, and drives an award-winning culture. #Diversity, #Equity and #Inclusion are embedded at our core, underpin the impactful stories we tell and drive our passion to make a difference.
We want our teams to reflect communities from all parts of the world, and remain committed to a culture of belonging and empowerment for all. It is the diverse minds, voices and perspectives of our people that fuel our most innovative ideas, deliver our greatest moments and push us forward to achieve more.
Aside from competitive salaries, great colleagues and an exciting work environment, we recognise that there's more to work than just pay. Here a few of our amazing incentives:
- A generous bonus scheme
- Free income protection, trauma and life insurances
- Three additional balance days per year
- Birthday leave
- Parental leave topped up to full salary for the first 18 weeks
- Additional Christmas leave
- Additional Summer leave
Don't delay, your dream job awaits!